Showing 215 results

Authority record
Camera Kraft Club
Corporate body

The purpose of the Camera Kraft Club was to teach the fundamentals of photography and to develop an appreciation of nature and art. The first mention of the club was in the 1923 Talahi yearbook while the last mention was in the 1954 Talahi yearbook.

Campus Laboratory School
Corporate body

When the Third State Normal School opened in September 1869, a campus laboratory (or model) school opened as well. It contained 70 children. The primary mission of St. Cloud State was to train young men and women to teach in Minnesota public schools. Here students watched St. Cloud State's faculty, as master teachers, teach children typically from kindergarten to eighth grade. The students were often children of St. Cloud State employees who lived nearby.

With the close of World War II in 1945, St. Cloud State began to offer education beyond teacher training. By 1975, St. Cloud State became a university with teacher training as part of its overall curriculum - and that teaching continues today.

In May 1983, the campus laboratory school closed. It was the last Minnesota State University campus laboratory school. Many in the community and on campus objected to the closing.

Corporate body

As part of the Department of Economics, the Center for Economic Education was established in 1964 to assist K-12 teachers by providing high-quality curriculum materials and workshops. As of 2023, the Center still exists.

In February 1963, the Department of Business Education and Office Administration orgainzed and hosted the Winter Institute. In 1968, the Center for Economic Education was responsible for planning and hosting the Winter Institute.

The Winter Institute was last held in February 2020.

Corporate body

Student organizations have long played a role on the campus of St. Cloud State University. The University Archives has Student Activity Council (SAC) minutes going back to the 1950s. The purpose of the SAC was to budget and provide to organizations which enhanced the cultural, recreational, and/or intellectual life at the University. SAC also prepared policies for the organizations to follow and abide by. It was followed by the Center for Student Organizations and Leadership Development.

The Center for Student Organizations and Leadership Development (CSOLD) was developed in 2004/2005 as a resource for student organizations, leadership programs, fraternities and sororities, and service and service-learning opportunities.

The mission of the Center for Student Organizations and Leadership Development (CSOLD) was to inspire, challenge, and connect students through organization involvement, service, and leadership exploration. The office was a resource to students in the following areas: student organizations, leadership programs, fraternities and sororities, and service and service-learning opportunities.

CSOLD had been a resource to over 250 student organizations in a variety of categories including academics, sports clubs, religious and spiritual, and political and social concerns. CSOLD coordinated events for student organizations, including officer and advisor training and the annual Mainstreet student organization fair.

CSOLD programs included leadership exploration, education, training, and development experiences in many different formats. Leadership programs included Workshops on Demand, the Excellence in Leadership Award program, and “What Color is Your Personality”™ workshops..

Fraternities and Sororities were supported through the CSOLD office. The learning community was an experience that challenged each fraternity and sorority member to commit him/herself to living to a higher standard. Members of fraternities and sororities could be found doing community service in neighborhoods near St. Cloud State University, volunteering at local events or organizing philanthropic activities to benefit local/national causes, research, and social issues.

On July 11, 2011, CSOLD and the University Programming Office (UPB) merged to become the Department of Campus Development.

Corporate body

The Central Minnesota Historical Assembly was a free association of historical societies, in the Central Minnesota area, joined together in a interest for mutual aid and assistance. Counties included: Aitkin, Benton, Big Stone, Crow Wing, Douglas, Grant, Isanti, Kandiyohi, Kanabec, McLeod, Meeker, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Otter Tail, Pine, Pope, Renville, Sherburne, Stearns, Stevens, Swift, Todd, Wadena, Wright, and Yellow Medicine.

The association's goals were to establish working relationships between members and to establish rapid exchange of information and channels of communication between members. The association met about once a year to discuss business, hear reports, and to assist members in their local programs.

During the 1980/90s, participation in the association began to wane and attempts to revitalize the program were unsuccessful. The association was officially disbanded in 1996.

Chi Sigma Chi
Corporate body

Chi Sigma Chi was an honorary fraternity for industrial arts majors and minors. The fraternity organized on campus in the winter of 1948. The purpose of the fraternity was to develop professional spirit, fellowship, and a better understanding of the opportunities and problems of industrial arts teachers in an industrial democracy. One of the notable activities the club sponsored was evening industrial hobby classes for adults. The last mention of Chi Sigma Chi was September 1978 in the Chronicle.

There are mentions of "Chi Sigma Chi" in the Chronicle prior to 1948, however the Chronicle notes this version of Chi Sigma Chi is "completely divorced" from its name sake.

Chronicle
Corporate body · 1924-

The student-run Chronicle has been published continuously since 1924 at St. Cloud State.

Clawson, John T.
Person · 1945-2011

John T. Clawson, Minnesota state legislator from District 19A  (1975-1980) and District 19B (1981-1984), was born August 7, 1945 in St. Paul, Minnesota. His family, of Danish lineage from the Lincoln Co-Tyler area, moved around Minnesota until settling in Bloomington, Minnesota. His great-grandfather, J. T. Clawson, was elected Superintendent of Schools in Lincoln Co. around the turn of the century. His paternal grandfather was appointed as the Minnesota House of Representatives Sergeant at Arms in the mid 1950's by Senator Joseph Vonheim of Tyler, Minnesota.

After finishing at Bloomington High School in 1963, Clawson attended Augsburg College in Minneapolis, majoring in Latin and Greek. He graduated in 1967, and began attending Northwestern Theological Seminary in St. Paul. Upon graduation in 1971, Clawson accepted a "two-point" parish in Harris, Minnesota, which included the First Lutheran of Harris and Calvary Lutheran in Stanchfield, and served in this capacity until 1974. In 1974 he was also hired as pastoral consultant to Hazelden, a rehabilitation center in Center City, Minnesota.

Clawson's interest in politics had its roots in his early appreciation of history and world affairs, as well as college activism at the seminary in the late 1960's. Labelling himself both Conservative and Republican, he attended his first Republican Caucus in 1972. Upon sensing the local party to be more "reactionary ideologues" than they were politically conservative, Clawson caucused with the DFL party in 1974. Clawson endorsed and won the 1974 state representative race over incumbent Republican Mike Olmstead with a 52% of the vote. In the Minnesota House he was appointed to the Judiciary, Local and Urban Affairs, and the Health and Welfare Committees. One of the major pieces of legislation he co-authored involved the reorganization of the Minnesota court system. Clawson won as the incumbent in 1976, and became involved in the House Orientation Committee and in creating the Department of Economic Security. Clawson was re-elected in 1978, 1980, and 1982.

Clawson was married to Susan Luetje from Red Wing in 1968. They had two daughters together, Jennifer and Amanda. He was remarried around 1987 to Christine Halvorson, and then again around 1999 to Annette Roth.