Showing 215 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Affirmative Action is defined as an active efforts to improve employment or educational opportunities for minority groups and women. Affirmative action began as a government solution to remedy the effects of long-standing discrimination against suchy groups and consisted of policies, program,s and procedures that give limited preferences to iminorities and women in job hiring, admission to institutions of higher education, and other social benefits. The typical criteria for affairmative action are race, disability, gender, ethnic origin, and age.

The Minnesota State College system began its affirmative action program in the spring of 1972 and campuses were required to participate. At St. Cloud State, Howard Russell served as a consultant to start and develop an affirmative action program. The program was revised in the spring of 1974 by the Minnesota governor's executive order 76. The order required at individual state agenices, among many things, appointment of an executive staff membr as equal opportunity officer as well as an appointment of a campus-wide affirmative action committee.

Though John Tomlinson was appointed as affirmative action officer, James Kitchen was soon given that role. According to the records in the office of president, there were no positions available for a full-time affirmative action officer and also felt that a teaching position was not appropriate. Instead, an assignment was made for an affirmative action officer on a part-time basis of a qualified individual and given some of the responsiblities that were held by Howard Russell. The position would eventually became a full-time appointment.

The position was intially part of the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Beginning in 1991/92, Affirmative Action reported to the office of the president and continues to do so today.


Affirmative Action: 1974 - 2010

Equity and Affirmative Action: 2010 - 2020+

Affirmative Action Officers:

April 1974 - June 1974: John Tomlinson (who was also VP for Academic Affairs)

July 1974 - July 1976: James Kitchen (who was also Minority Culture Center director)

July 1976 - November 1976: Robert Becker (acting)

November 1976 - June 1977: Patricia Darrah (who was also Minority Culture Center director)

July 1977 - September 1977: Robert Becker (acting)

September 1977 - 1982/83: Barb Grachek

1983/84: Robert Becker (acting)

1984/85: Barb Grachek

1985/86: Mil Voelker (acting)

1986/87 - 1989/90: Mil Voelker

1990/91: Caroline Boureston (acting)

1991/92 - 1993/94: Jill Ciliberto

1994/95 - 1996/97: Debra Carlson

1997/98 - May 2002: Laurel Allen

January 2003 - July 2003: Aly Xiong (interim)

2003/04? - 2005/06: Ann Zemek de Dominguez (interim)

April 2006 - 2008/09: Susan Moss

January 2010 - present: Ellyn Bartges

Corporate body · 1973-1996

The St. Cloud Museum of Man was incorporated in 1973 as a non-profit corporation under the laws of the State of Minnesota. Although the museum was located on the campus of St. Cloud State University, the museum was legally and financially separate from the school. The Articles of Incorporation stated that the purpose of the museum was for scientific, educational, and archival purposes, including study, research, teaching, instruction, and the preservation of all aspects of culture.

The name of the museum was changed from the St. Cloud Museum of Man to the Evelyn Payne Hatcher Museum of Anthropology in 1979.

Evelyn Payne Hatcher was one of the founders of the museum. According to her obituary, her parents were renowned early 20th century painters whose impressionistic works focused on tribal people, culture, symbols, and landscapes of the American West and Southwest. Hatcher made it her mission to make sure that their legacy lived on.

The museum worked closely with the anthropology department on campus. Many students did volunteer work, helping set up exhibits and accessioning and deaccessioning artifacts. Many of the museum's exhibits and lectures focused on Native American and Asian cultures.

The dissolution of the Evelyn Payne Hatcher Museum of Anthropology occurred in 1996.

Faculty Wives and Women
Corporate body

Faculty Wives and Women organization was formed in 1947 by Mrs. D. S. Brainard, wife of the St. Cloud State president Dudley Brainard, and three other faculty wives, Mrs. C.E. Daggett, Mrs. P.G. Rawland, and Mrs. J.E. Talbot. The organization was originally called the Faculty Wives Club but changed their names at a later date to include unmarried female faculty. The organization is mainly a social group designed to create community within the female members and spouses of the St. Cloud campus faculty. The club is currently still active as of 2022.

Fischer, John

The writings of “John Fischer,” pseudonym, represents a collaboration between Ruel E. Fischmann and Joanne Fluke, husband and wife.

Ruel E. Fischmann was born on July 3, 1939 and passed away on January 7, 2013. He lived in Granada Hills, California.

Fischmann received both his bachelor of arts (1961) and master of arts (1967) degrees from the University of California-Los Angeles (UCLA). After graduation, Fischmann landed a faculty position in Philosophy at St. Cloud State College (later University) in St. Cloud, Minnesota.

In 1984, Fischmann left St. Cloud State to pursue a career as a television writer.

Joanne Fluke was born in 1943 to Cliff and Esther Gibson. Fluke grew up in Swanville, Minnesota, graduating from Swanville High School in 1960. After attending St. Cloud State, Fluke graduated from California State University at San Bernardino.

They have one son, John Fluke.

Fischer, Roland

SCSU alum and retired administrator

Fluke, Joanne

Joanne is a noted American author.